Coulee Partners for Sustainability (CPS) is a group of La Crosse area residents who are interested in promoting lifestyles that are environmentally sustainable, economically viable, and socially just. We support the proposition that society must meet its current needs, but that it must not diminish the ability of future generations to meet their needs. CPS formed in the spring of 2007 and is registered as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
We support use of the Natural Step Framework as a way to achieve sustainable lifestyles. This framework was adopted by the City and County of La Crosse in 2007. In 2009, both the City and County adopted sustainability master plans that will help our local governments and communities start implementing this framework. Other municipalities in Wisconsin have also recently adopted the Natural Step framework.
The Natural Step framework includes these objectives:
- Reduces dependence on fossil fuels, metals, and minerals.
- Reduces production of manufactured substances that accumulate in nature.
- Reduce encroachment upon nature.
- Meet human needs fairly and efficiently.
CPS members will be engaged in various community activities, including:
- Educating the community about sustainable lifestyles.
- Fostering and show-casing sustainable business practices.
- Promoting the availability and use of locally grown foods.
- Supporting formation of networks and neighborhood groups that adopt sustainable practices.